Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spiritual Monuments

So, I was reading our book for Bible Study (Bill Johnson's When Heaven Invades Earth) and came across a passage in Exodus that talked about building monuments or altars to remember what God has done. It happens all over the place in the Old Testament. God does something awesome, and people build a memorial so that they won't forget.

I am now trying to figure out what this means for me. What can I build/create/save that commemorates what God has done in my life. I mean, I DON'T want to forget because remembering brings joy and encourages and strengthens your faith.

My only conclusion on the topic thus far is to be more intentional with my journaling. I want to record whenever God provides, or teaches me something, or stretches me or anything else He decides to do. I know this will help me remember, if or when I actually go back and read it.

I want to remember.
And then I want to CELEBRATE!

I want to remember so that my JOY may be in Him and thus my joy may be complete! Let me know if you have other ideas of ways to commemorate intimate experiences with the Lord. I am open to any and all suggestions, and would especially welcome some creative thoughts!

Dios les bendiga,
Kathy


1 comment:

Diana said...

I love that you are thinking about this because the same question has come up for Chris and I/ Mom and Dad lately! I think I told you about the 200 year plan and they discuss how important it is to document 'spiritual monuments' in your life, not only for yourself but also for your descendants so that they can see how God worked in your family's past. Mom and Dad have decided to start a 'victory journal' where they document the many leadings, provisions and answered prayers they are experiencing now, and once they catch up they want to document those they experienced in the past. I'm hoping to start something similar but I'm doing good to get my prayer and Bible Study time in as it is now! So excited about your newest goal!