Sunday, May 9, 2010

No Longer Much-Afraid

Recently, the Lord sent me a dream about lies that Satan feeds us. Satan tells us that certain things are cute and safe, and we believe him. It's bogus, but we do.

So, after this dream, I opened my heart for God to search it out for lies. And, surprise, surprise, He found some. And it blew me away!

It's not that I expected my heart was 100% clean and sparkly. I know there is still work to be done. But, what surprised me was the lies that I realized were in there. I mean, I knew I believed these things, but it never occurred to me that they are BIG FAT LIES!

I realized that I have so accepted fear as a regular part of my life, that it doesn't even faze me anymore. Ridiculous! I let fear wiggle it's little nose into my heart probably more than 20 years ago, and I just let it stay there warm and cozy.

Fear was able to hide out for all these years because I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE IT! I had let fear become appropriate or acceptable in my life to the extent that I thought it was NORMAL for Christians to feel that way. So, here's a list (because I LOVE lists) of all the ways I have identified thus far that fear had a hold of my life without my recognition.

1. Fear of the unknown -- Whenever something new or unexpected came along, I thought it was appropriate to be afraid. I mean, I'm only human, right! And unknown things are scary! But, letting fear have a foothold is never okay, no matter WHAT!

So, there, Fear of Unknown, you have no place in my heart.

2. Fear of man -- I'm not scared of men. In fact, I think I actually have an irrational level of confidence in my ability to defend myself against most any man. But, I am ridiculously concerned about other people's opinion of me, and it can be debilitating. Calculating the risks of a decision is wise, but letting the opinion of others prevent you from pursuing things that GOD WANTS FOR YOU is ridiculous and I'm over it.

So, yep, kicked that one out too.

3. Fear that God will take thing away -- I know God will stretch me, and that is true, but somewhere along the way I've accepted that God will probably ask me to do things I don't like and ask me to give up lots of the things I love. How often do I forget that HE ONLY GIVES GOOD GIFTS! And how often have I clenched my little tiny fists around something God wanted to take away, not realizing that He wanted to replace it with something better.

Stupid lies, you are officially uninvited to my life party.

There are a few more, but this blog seems pretty long. So, if you want to hear more, email me and I will update you! Otherwise, stay tuned for future blogs about what God's teaching me and about how I will be learning/growing in my new job! My first day in the office (just for a few hours for a meeting) is Tuesday, and I would appreciate some fear-killing prayers!

Sending love to you all, no matter where you are!
Kathy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so excited that God is speaking to you in this way. here's to conquering fear!

Diana said...

Amen Love! You know how much I struggle in this area as well, although the Lord has drawn those sins out of my closet for everyone to see of late! I hope I can be an encouragement to you as you have been an encouragement to me when facing down Satan's lies. I'm so excited for you to experience your first day of work, I know it will be great!