Saturday, June 20, 2009

Que bonito

Here are a few shots of Antigua and the beautiful flowers I have found around the country! There is a lot of poverty and many unmet needs, but Guatemala remains a historically rich and naturally beautiful country!
---

The hallway of the convent ruins at La Merced.



Beautiful flowers...







Looking through a window at the ruins of Capuchinas.
The beautiful courtyard at the Capuchinas ruins.

The ruins of another convent in Antigua.

We spent a lot of time touring Antigua on Thursday and then spent today at Panajachel! It rained a lot, so the pictures didn't turn out very well, but I am sure there will be more beautiful pictures to come.

Also, I will try to post some pictures of Seidi. She is a little girl from an orphanage in Cuilapa who should be headed to the states in August for eye surgery. When we went to pick her up yesterday she wouldn't speak and she cried through half of dinner. Today, she was hanging off my shirt, dancing with me, and repeating everything we said! It is amazing to see the change that has come about after less than 24 hours in an environment where she is safe and has copious amounts of attention! The orphanage in Cuilapa does the very best it can, but because Seidi has been abused, I think she needed more care and attention in order to open up quickly. Say a prayer for her as she goes back to the orphanage in a week and will probably have to see her mom. Pray also for her safety and her operation once she comes to Kentucky in August.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers when I was sick! I am feeling 100% better now and cannot tell you how much I appreciated the prayers!

Dios les bendiga!

No comments: